|| Hari Sarvothama Vayu Jivothama ||
|| Sri Raghavendra Tirtha Gurubyo Namaha ||
Super Blood Blue Moon
Chandra Grahana or Lunar Eclipse which occurs on 31/01/2018 is the rare eclipse which happens after 150 years. It is called as Blue Eclipse. NASA calls it as ‘Super Blood Blue Moon’ as it is one of the rarest event happening after 31-March-1866.It is calculated that the next full Chandra grahana will happen on 31 – December – 2028, but not it will not be Super Blood Blue one.
Super Moon – It is called because Chandra is going to travel very close to Earth
Blue Moon – It is called because Chandra is going to appear bluish in color
Blood Moon – It is called because Chandra is going to travel earth’s shadow(Umbra) creating Total Eclipse as a result
Why Chandra Grahana or Lunar Eclipse occur?
Lunar Eclipse occur when Surya, Chandra, and Earth all come in same straight line. As a result Earth’s Umbra blocks total light rays to Chandra making it dark causing the eclipse. Even then partial rays reaches Chandra causing it to be visible like a Reddish Moon. And this time it is going to visible even in India. As per Vedic astrology, Chandra will be closely associated with either Rahu/Kethu in the same degree, and Surya in 7th house with either Rahu/Kethu causing Total Lunar Eclipse only to happen during Pournami(Full Moon day). As a result one could see those who are mentally challenged could feel uneasy during this time, as Chandra(the one who rules the mind) is afflicted due to this.
Grahana is going to start with Ayilyam nakshatra(Ashlesha) -1st padam, Karkata(Kadaka) Rasi, with Poosam(Pushya) nakshatra going to end.
Sparsam(Start): 05:16 PM IST
Madhyamam(Full peak) at 06:58PM IST
Moksham(End): 08:40pm IST
*As per Sri Raghavendra Swamy Mutt panchanga, Madhya kala is calculated as 07:00PM IST
As per Vedic Astrology, as Grahana starts with Ashelesha naksatra(i.e, Ayilyam) the lord of Ashelesha naksatra happens to be Mercury(Bhudhan). Bhudan rules other two naksatras called Jyesta(Kettai) and Revathi along with Ashleesha. Please see below for Nakshatras(27) and its respective planet which rules it
As I have already said Grahana starts with Ayilyam(Ashlesha) so parihara needs to be done for all three nakshatra category respectively.
Since grahana just starts with ending Poosam(Pushya) there will be grahana effect for Poosam, Anusham and Uttiratadhi. See above chart. And after the Moksha kala the next naksatra happens to be Magam so there will be minimal effect for Aswini,Magam and Moola naksatras respectively. Overall, parihara needs to be done for 9 naksatras as a result. What is the parihara to be done? Read the post completely to know more.
The below information is courtesy of Shri Narahari Sumadhwa, Bangalore.
Dos/Don’ts for during and before & after Grahana
- We must not eat/drink anything after Vedaaramba. If we eat some thing during grahana period, we have to observe three days fasting for parihara of the grahana dosha.
- We must take bath once when the Grahana starts and once when the grahana ends.
- Even those who are observing soothaka also must observe Grahana snaana.
- Even the Rajaswala ladies must observe Grahana snaana.
- While doing sparsha snaana, we must do the snaana with the clothes we are wearing in.
- During Grahana Madhya kaala, tarpanaadhikarigalu must give tarpana to sarva pitrugalu.
- During Grahana we must do daanaas – Godaana, Suvarna Daana, Bhoodana, dhaanya dhaana (yathaashakthi.)
- Milk, curds, vegetables, water and other items are free from Grahana dosha provided a kusha (darbe) is kept on the items. But baked items are not free from grahana dosha, even though darbe is kept on them.
- Two days prior and two days after Grahana are Varjya for “Shubha Kaarya”.
- During Grahana period do as much japa as possible, do paarayana of Vayustuthi, Rayara Stotra, Sumadhwa Vijaya, etc (depending upon the time available). Those who does not know Rayara Stotra, and ladies atleast then can chant –
harE raama harE raama raama raama harE harE | harE kRiShNa harE kRiShNa kRiShNa kRiShNa harE harE |
ಹರೇ ರಾಮ ಹರೇ ರಾಮ ರಾಮ ರಾಮ ಹರೇ ಹರೇ | ಹರೇ ಕೃಷ್ಣ ಹರೇ ಕೃಷ್ಣ ಕೃಷ್ಣ ಕೃಷ್ಣ ಹರೇ ಹರೇ |
हरे राम हरे राम राम राम हरे हरे । हरे कृष्ण हरे कृष्ण कृष्ण कृष्ण हरे हरे ।
Ladies can chant Madhwanaama,sing devaranamagalu, they can do guru mantra, etc. Grahana dosha pariharaartha stotra to be chanted –
praaNarUpO hi lOkaanaam sadaa kRuShNamRugapriya: |
vaayu: sUryOparaagOtthaam gRahapIDaam vyapOhatu |
yO saavindudharO dEva: pinaakI vRuShavaahana: |
sUryOparaagapaapaani sa naashayatu shankara: ||
trailOkyE yaani bhUtaani sthaavaraaNi charaaNi cha|
brahmaviShNvarkarudraashchadahantu mama paatakam |
प्राणरूपो हि लोकानां सदा कृष्णमृगप्रिय: ।
वायु: सूर्योपरागोत्थां ग्र्अहपीडां व्यपोहतु ।
यो साविंदुधरो देव: पिनाकी वृषवाहन: ।
सूर्योपरागपापानि स नाशयतु शंकर: ॥
त्रैलोक्ये यानि भूतानि स्थावराणि चराणि च।
ब्रह्मविष्ण्वर्करुद्राश्चदहंतु मम पातकम् ।
ಪ್ರಾಣರೂಪೋ ಹಿ ಲೋಕಾನಾಂ ಸದಾ ಕೃಷ್ಣಮೃಗಪ್ರಿಯ: |
ವಾಯು: ಸೂರ್ಯೋಪರಾಗೋತ್ಥಾಂ ಗ್ರಹಪೀಡಾಂ ವ್ಯಪೋಹತು |
ಯೋ ಸಾವಿಂದುಧರೋ ದೇವ: ಪಿನಾಕೀ ವೃಷವಾಹನ: |
ಸೂರ್ಯೋಪರಾಗಪಾಪಾನಿ ಸ ನಾಶಯತು ಶಂಕರ: ||
ತ್ರೈಲೋಕ್ಯೇ ಯಾನಿ ಭೂತಾನಿ ಸ್ಥಾವರಾಣಿ ಚರಾಣಿ ಚ|
ಬ್ರಹ್ಮವಿಷ್ಣ್ವರ್ಕರುದ್ರಾಶ್ಚದಹಂತು ಮಮ ಪಾತಕಮ್ |
Those who are having ashuba phala for Chandra Grahana, they have to chant the following mantras for parihaara.
yOsou vajradharO dEva: Adityaanaam prabhurmata: |
chandragrahOparaagOtthagrahapIDaam vyapOhatu |
yOsou danDadharO dEva: yamO mahiShavaahana: |
chandragrahOparaagOttha grahapIDaam vyapOhatu |
yOsou shUladharO dEva: pinaakI vRuShavaahana:|
chandragrahOparaagOtthagrahapIDaam vyapOhatu |
ಯೋsಸೌ ವಜ್ರಧರೋ ದೇವ: ಆದಿತ್ಯಾನಾಂ ಪ್ರಭುರ್ಮತ: |
ಚಂದ್ರಗ್ರಹೋಪರಾಗೋತ್ಥಗ್ರಹಪೀಡಾಂ ವ್ಯಪೋಹತು |
ಯೋsಸೌ ದಂಡಧರೋ ದೇವ: ಯಮೋ ಮಹಿಷವಾಹನ: |
ಚಂದ್ರಗ್ರಹೋಪರಾಗೋತ್ಥ ಗ್ರಹಪೀಡಾಂ ವ್ಯಪೋಹತು |
ಯೋsಸೌ ಶೂಲಧರೋ ದೇವ: ಪಿನಾಕೀ ವೃಷವಾಹನ:|
ಚಂದ್ರಗ್ರಹೋಪರಾಗೋತ್ಥಗ್ರಹಪೀಡಾಂ ವ್ಯಪೋಹತು |
योsसौ वज्रधरो देव: आदित्यानां प्रभुर्मत: ।
चंद्रग्रहोपरागोत्थग्रहपीडां व्यपोहतु ।
योsसौ दंडधरो देव: यमो महिषवाहन: ।
चंद्रग्रहोपरागोत्थ ग्रहपीडां व्यपोहतु ।
योsसौ शूलधरो देव: पिनाकी वृषवाहन:।
चंद्रग्रहोपरागोत्थग्रहपीडां व्यपोहतु ।
DO NOTs :
- We must not go for urinals/latrine during Grahana – If we go for urinals – we will get daaridrya, if we go for latrine – we will get the Janma of insect.
- We must not sleep during Grahana Time, if we sleep we will get diseases
- We must not do maithuna during Grahana – if done, we will get Janma of pig
- We must not do abhyanjana snaana – if done, we will kusta roga. As such, one must not eat, sleep, urinals, maithuna, bhojana during grahana kaala
Doubts on Chandra Grahana
First of all I admit that I am not giving my personal opinion. Whatever I have given as information is entirely based on various books, articles, Panchangas of various mutts.
1. Regarding Vedaramba – Normally Vedaramba starts before 9 hours of Chandra Grahana and 12 hours before Surya Grahana. As such, as many people have pointed out, we can eat upto 9 am. But this time, the Eclipse is Grastodaya – i.e., raising of moon while eclipsed. As such, all Mutt Panchangas have clearly mentioned that one must not eat till the Grahana is completed.
Then one may question – Whether we can eat before sunrise itself ?
No never we must eat before sunrise. As such, it is not advisable to eat before sunrise.
However for the children, aged, patients, pregnants, etc., they can eat upto 10am.
Most importantly, by the time, the grahana starts – our stomach to be empty.
2. Regarding pooja in the morning – Morning, as usual you have to do snaana, sandhyavandana, nirmalya abhisheka.
Night – after the Grahana is completed, you have to do regular pooja, abhisheka, naivedya. But you are not supposed to do Hastodaka, as all the yathigalu will be fasting on Grahana day.
Nirmalya Visarjana to be performed during Grahana, the same Nirmalya should be used for Tarpana.
During Madhyakaala give tarpana (tarpanaadhikarees) to sarva pitrugalu.
3. Even those who are having soothaka/vruddhi/rajaswala also to have snaana during the start of the grahana and after the end.
4. Effect of Grahana :
Grahana will have different effects on different people. Based on respective rashees, different effects are there for each rashi.
Shubha Phala – Grahana may give you some good result for you
Mishra phala – As the name indicates it will be both Shubha+ ashubha
Ashubha Phala- Grahana may harm your progress.
But just hearing this don’t get panic.
There are so many suggestions for overcoming the Ashubha Phala which you can do –
Even if your Rashi is not having Ashubha Phala, please do all that is mentioned below to get maximum punya phala during Grahana
Gents – Do more Gayathri Japa as much as possible,
Ladies Chant – Vijayarayara kavacha, Madhwanama, Keshavanama, etc
Gents – Do Gayatri Japa as much as possible, Do parayanha of Sarva moola, Sumadhwa Vijaya, Vayustuti, etc., Chant Vishnu Sahasra Naama /Harivayustuti/ Shanaishcharakrutha Narasimha Stotra, Navagraha Stotra
Do yathashakti daana – During Grahana we must do daanaas – Godaana, Suvarna Daana, Bhoodana, dhaanya dhaana (yathaashakthi.) Even though it is said that Silver/Gold Daana – Don’t borrow and do the daana. Whatever you have you can do daana – Even 1 Rupee with Yatashakthi will have the same punya as that of a Silver/gold/bhoodaana.
5. Clothes kept in Madi (ಮಡಿ) before Grahana are not to be used after Grahana. After Grahana, do snaana and clothes to be kept freshly. “ಗ್ರಹಣಪೂರ್ವದಲ್ಲಿ ಒಣಗು ಹಾಕಿದ್ದ ಮಡಿ ಬಟ್ಟೆ ಗ್ರಹಣದ ನಂತರ ಬರುವುದಿಲ್ಲ. ಮತ್ತೆ ಸ್ನಾನಾನಂತರ ಬೇರೆಯಾಗಿ ಒಣಗಿಹಾಕಿಕೊಳ್ಳಬೇಕು.”
6. Rajaswala strees – Even the Rajaswala ladies must observe Grahana snaana – But they must have water poured by somebody to a bucket and from that bucket they must take bath. They must not squeezout . They shall sit in the wet cloth itself and do dhyana.
sootakE mRutakE chaiva na dOShO raahudarshanE |
snaanE naimittikE praaptE naarI yadi rajasvalaa |
paatraaMtaritOyEna snaanaM kRutvaa vrataM charEt |
na vastraniShpIDanaM kaaryaM naanyad vastraM cha daarayEt |
7. Shraaddha falling on Grahana day – In case of death anniversary falling on the eclipse day, regular shraddha will be performed only after the eclipse is over. If on the grahana day, morning bhojana is permitted, then shraddha can be done on the same day. Otherwise, the shradda to be done after grahana is over.
8. snaana Sankalpa during Grahana – Achamana, praaNaanaayamya, shrI gOviMda… EvaMguNa vishEShaNa vishiShTaayaaM shubha puNyatithou bhaaratIramaNa muKyapraaNaaMtargata shrI viShNu prEraNaya shrIviShNu prItyarthaM chaMdra graha pIDaa parihaaraarthaM …. nadee snaanaM kariShyE….
9. Don’ts during Grahana period –
1. Avoid using Toilets
2. Avoid maithuna.
3. Avoid Oil Bath
4. Avoid Eating
5. Avoid Sleeping
6. No Hastodaka on Grahana Day – as Yatees will be fasting
7. Avoid plucking flowers from trees
8. Avoid sitting on Elephants, horse, etc
9. Avoid looking at Sun directly with naked eyes during Solar eclipse
(Source : Various panchangas, Sadachara Muktavali, Chitradi Masa kartavyagalu, etc….)
Usage of Dharba (Kusha Grass):
Darba is born from the body of Varaha devaru. In Darba, there is sannidhana of Srihari, Brahma and Rudradevaru. So, Darba is always pure. During Grahana, all these items like milk, curds, vegetables, which are being kept will loose their power and becomes unusable. But with the use of Darba being kept on these items, their shuddatwa will be maintained and one can use the same after Grahana also.
The planet Mercury karakamsha going to have impact because of grahana happening on Ashlesha nakshatra. Mercury, being adhipathi of Wind among the pancha bhoothas as per vedic astrology. In this grahana, there might be impact created by Vayu across the World. Praying Vayu devaru(Hanumantha) is the best parihara of all.
Madhva Navami (26/1/2018):
Sri Madhvacharya is the third avatAra of vAyu, the other two are Sri Hanuman(in tretA yuga), and shrI bhImasena(in dvApara yuga), as per BaLitthA SUkta of the Rg VEda & Garuda purana. It is recorded in the year 1317 AD, Jagadguru Sri Madhvacharyaru while teaching his disciples at Udupi Sri Anantheshwara Temple devotees noticed suddenly a heap of flowers were showered on him and he disappeared from that heap of flowers and was not present at the place later. Jagadguru Shri Madhvacharya reached Badarikashrama(North Badrinath) on this day and believed to be still learning vedantha from Lord Shri Vedavyasa.
Know more about Jagadguru Sri Madhvacharyaru from here
‘Gu’ means darkness,’Ru’ means to confine. Guru means one who dispels the darkness of ignorance through the light of his knowledge.
Let us pray the Wind God (Vayu) to bless all of us to remove all our miseries.
Venkatesh Rajendra Rao.
Click here to join our group on Sri Raghavendra Swamiji @ facebook
-May the great teacher,Sri VyasaTirtha,be our guide&protector,to grant all our desires.